Published on Jun 26, 2023
The objective: To determine the correct ratio of baking soda to vinegar that will result in the highest launch of a plastic canister
1. Plastic Fuji film canisters with the tops (at least 3).
2. Construction paper, any color, 9 inches (in.) X 12 in. (1 pack).
3. Sotch tape (1 roll).
5. Permanent marker.
6. Ruler, in inches.
7. Optional: Ladder.
8. Baking soda (1 box).
9. White vinegar (1/2 gallon bottle or jug).
10. Measuring spoon, 1/8 teaspoon (tsp.).
11. Measuring spoon, 1 tsp.
15. Safety goggles.
16. Adult volunteer.
17. Lab notebook.
1. We collected all oyr materials and put it on the Table.
2. We read the instruction for the experiment and made one change. The change was that we did not put construction paper onto the film canister as the canister was heavy and was not lifting up too much anyway.
3. We made a measuring scale using construction paper and hung the scale on the wall in the backyard.
4. We put 3 teaspoons of vinegar in the film canister
5. We then put the right amount of baking soda and pasted it on the canister cap.
6. The Cap was then tightened by our adult volunteer on the canister.
7. The Adult volunteer then turned the canister upside down and placed near the measuring scale.
8. We did a lot of trials with different amounts of Baking soda and Vinegar and noted our results..
Vinegar and Baking soda when came in contact there was a small explosion and the Canister went up following Newton's 3rd law of motion.
Our Conclusion was that more the baking soda used for same amount of vinegar, the higher the canister goes.
This project is to find Newton's third law of motion helps to propel a rocket.
Science Fair Project done By Ankankshya Samal; Saachi Sikaria